Sunday, March 19, 2006

 

Evidence of a Changed Life


My wife and I were blessed with the opportunity to spend a week at the Hacienda of Hope March 11-18. It had been nearly three years since my last visit, and the changes are astounding. As one who is close to the work, though many miles away, I have been fully aware of the progress that has been made, but to experience it first hand was phenomenal. Since my last visit, God has added 10 children, completed 1 casa and 1 corner apartment with a 2nd casa nearing completion, and added a memorial prayer dome in honor of two beloved Christian men. Much land development has been accomplished including fencing, the front gate and entryway, a chicken coup, farm animals, erosion control, and irrigation. God has brought to us three fantastic families to serve in this ministry (Justin & Amanda Snyder, Martin & Lorena Valdivieso, and Hugo & Jenny Sandoval) alongside Jerry and Patricia.

But a change in the facilities and landscape is only the start at the Hacienda of Hope. In the children, we saw changed lives. The once expressionless faces are smiling. The empty stomachs are full. The dirty clothing has been replaced with clean garments. The bare feet are covered with socks and shoes. Abuse, poverty, neglect, and despair have given way to care, comfort, love, and hope. More importantly, these children have been introduced to Jesus … and they love Him. They sing songs, read scripture, actively participate in Bible classes and devotionals. They are learning what selfless love means, and are being trained to treat people with love and respect. Some of the older children are asking questions about baptism and salvation, and after some study and discussion will likely become Christians.

Wow, what a change. What a noticeable difference your support has made in their lives! What an obvious difference Jesus has made in their lives! As I watched the kids and contemplated the nature of the change, both physical and spiritual, my thoughts turned uncomfortably inward. How has Jesus changed my appearance, my behavior, my thoughts, my motives? Is there an obvious difference between the old and the new? There should be, and the difference should be clear. My thanks to the staff and kids at the Hacienda of Hope for providing a tangible reminder that I once was an orphan, separated from my Father, but that I now have been adopted, I have a family. And there should be some concrete evidence of a changed life.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?